Re: [groff] 03/09: tmac/an-old.tmac: Stop remapping ` and '.

From: John Gardner
Subject: Re: [groff] 03/09: tmac/an-old.tmac: Stop remapping ` and '.
Date: Mon, 2 Nov 2020 20:14:21 +1100

> To summarize: It seems that there is only a single platform left today
> that by default uses a bitmap font for terminals with symmetric ` and
> ' characters.  This sort-of proves my point, doesn't it?

It gets even worse. See, whenever you edit source code, symmetric
quote-pairs look like a directional pair of quotes facing the wrong way:

[image: VirtualBox_Solaris 11.3_02_11_2020_20_09_16.png]

Obviously, these letterforms made sense back when
electromechanical typewriters were still a thing, and terminals didn't need
emulation. But... not in 2020... :\

On Mon, 2 Nov 2020 at 19:42, Werner LEMBERG <wl@gnu.org> wrote:

> > It's called Sun Gallant Demi
>
> Thanks.
>
> > (or simply "Gallant", as no other weights or variations of it
> > exist). It's the default console font of SPARC workstations and
> > SunOS/Solaris;
>
> OK.
>
> > OpenBSD used to use it, until they switched to a much blander
> > console font <https://github.com/fcambus/spleen>.
>
> Not my taste... – additionally, ` and ' are no longer symmetric.
>
> > It's the only fixed-pitch serif typeface I've seen that pulls that
> > look off naturally.
>
> To summarize: It seems that there is only a single platform left today
> that by default uses a bitmap font for terminals with symmetric ` and
> ' characters.  This sort-of proves my point, doesn't it?
>

>     Werner

PNG image