Re: Releasing groff 1.22.5?

From: Bertrand Garrigues
Subject: Re: Releasing groff 1.22.5?
Date: Sun, 11 Oct 2020 00:04:16 +0200

Hi Branden,

On Sat, Oct 10 2020 at 08:56:49 PM, "G. Branden Robinson"
<g.branden.robinson@gmail.com> wrote:
> We have a formal expression of interest in a new release.
>
> https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?59216
>
> Bertrand, do you think you will be available to serve as release
> engineer, or do we need to solicit interest in the role?

I don't have much time to make large changes in the code base (my
Knuth-Plass work is unfortunately in standby now), but for a release it
should not be a problem, I'll do it.

> If anyone feels we haven't yet satisfied some technical goal that we
> should have accomplished before branding something "1.22.5", please
> speak up now.

All the "heavy" tasks like #40717, #40716 obviously won't be there in a
near future so it's a good time to make a new release.

> I have some things I'd like to accomplish before a release[1], but
> based on my experience with groff 1.22.4, I don't think they'd
> interfere a beta or release-candidate cycle.

I will push a fix for #55334 during the beta cycle, I don't have other
fix in mind.

> As far as I know, the tree is in pretty good shape.  I've learned to
> "make distcheck", but my development machine is pretty vanilla--x86-64
> running a Debian-based distro.

'make distcheck' works fine for me too (Archlinux-based distro).

If no one oppose to it I should be able to push a release candidate tag
in the next couple of days.

Regards,
Bertrand