Disable sentence spacing in tty output?

From: k.st
Subject: Disable sentence spacing in tty output?
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2020 00:54:03 -0700

Hello everyone,

Is there a way to prevent groff from writing two spaces after end-of-
sentence characters in tty output (mainly for man pages)?

I noticed that many man page authors either does not follow semantic
line-breaking or convert man pages from other formats such as asciidoc,
pandoc, and scdoc. All of them has some problems handling sentence
spaces and lead to inconsistent spacing in man pages.

For example, in git-push(1),

    --prune
       Remove remote branches that don’t have a local counterpart. For
       example a remote branch tmp will be removed if a local branch with
       the same name doesn’t exist any more. This also respects refspecs,
       e.g.  git push --prune remote refs/heads/*:refs/tmp/* would make
       sure that remote refs/tmp/foo will be removed if refs/heads/foo
       doesn’t exist.

It uses 1 space after period, and 2 spaces after 'e.g.'. Git uses
asciidoc to convert man pages, which does not handle sentence spacing
very well.

The only solution for me might be to disable sentence spacing entirely.
I wonder if there are options/macros to disable this? I known man(1)
from man-db has `--nh` and `--nj` options to disable hyphenation and
justification. Is it possible to have some kind of option similar to
those?

Related issues

1. asciidoc: https://github.com/asciidoc/asciidoc-py3/issues/137
2. pandoc: https://github.com/jgm/pandoc/issues/6613