Re: Disable sentence spacing in tty output?

From: Dave Kemper
Subject: Re: Disable sentence spacing in tty output?
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2020 18:12:23 -0500

On 8/13/20, G. Branden Robinson <g.branden.robinson@gmail.com> wrote:
> I notice you did in fact ask about how to confine this to TTY devices.
> You can do this with the "n" conditional to the .if request:
>
>       .if n .ss 12 0
>
> I've been having a friendly holy war with Dave Kemper over
> inter-sentence spacing in _all_ contexts, including
> proportionally-spaced type, and that overshadowed my interpretation of
> your message.

This will likely work for 99% of real-world cases, but to be thorough,
in case any man page uses the .ss request internally, you'd have to
redefine .ss to ignore any second parameter, and to always call the
low-level .ss with a second parameter of 0, since if it doesn't get
one, groff automatically (irrationally) uses the same value as the
first parameter.

Friendly Holy Warrior