problem with groff manual: @ref{} in PDF and HTML fomats

From: G. Branden Robinson
Subject: problem with groff manual: @ref{} in PDF and HTML fomats
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2020 21:41:01 +1000

Hi folks,

On my system, with Texinfo 6.5, there seems to be a problem with the
@ref{} Texinfo macro when generating HTML and PDF output--and it's
different in each case.

The problem arises with the last sentence in the first paragraph of
section 5.6.5, "Built-in Registers".

Info/Text:

        A complete listing of all built-in registers can be found in
        *note Register Index::.

Apart from info's kinda kooky cross-reference notation, the above seems
fine.

HTML:

        A complete listing of all built-in registers can be found in see
        Register Index.

Here, the "see" is superfluous.  This could be attributed to misuse, but
then we have...

PDF:

        A complete listing of all built-in registers can be found in see
        tie E [Register Index], page 235.

Nope, no way.  Appendix E is the correct reference but the injected
"tie" screams out to me a mal-expanded @tie{} macro.

Can anyone reproduce this with Texinfo 6.6 or 6.7?

If so, I think we have a bug to report to the Texinfo team.  If not,
then I guess I'll try to get the fix backported to Debian stable.  Or
just patch my local system for it (and see what _other_ differences turn
up).

To get these document forms, you may need to call the "doc" target of
the Makefile; "all" won't do it.  Expect a lot of output from TeX,
including many warnings.  A while back Werner explained why the output
is benign.

Regards,
Branden