problem with groff.texi: @ref{} in PDF and HTML fomats

From: G. Branden Robinson
Subject: problem with groff.texi: @ref{} in PDF and HTML fomats
Date: Sun, 26 Apr 2020 16:28:52 +1000

Hi Gavin and other Texinfo mavens,

I've encountered the following issue with groff's Texinfo manual and am
seeking advice or, if it's a bug, a fix.

We have the following paragraph in our groff.texi file:

        The following lists some built-in registers that are not
        described elsewhere in this manual.  Any register that begins
        with a @samp{.} is read-only.  A complete listing of all
        built-in registers can be found in @ref{Register Index}.

This seems to render incorrectly in PDF and HTML formats, using the
Debian packages for Texinfo 6.5 and 6.7[1].

Info/Text output:

        A complete listing of all built-in registers can be found in
        *note Register Index::.

Apart from info's idiosyncratic cross-reference notation, the above
seems fine.

HTML output:

        A complete listing of all built-in registers can be found in see
        Register Index.

Here, the "see" is superfluous.  This could be attributed to misuse of
the @ref macro in the source, but then we have...

PDF output:

        A complete listing of all built-in registers can be found in see
        tie E [Register Index], page 235.

Appendix E is the correct reference but the injected "tie" screams out
to me a mal-expanded @tie{} macro.

Let me know if there is more information I can usefully provide.

Regards,
Branden

[1] I attempted to compile Texinfo from source out of git, but
encountered compilation errors on both HEAD and the 6.7 tags.  Let me
know if you'd like a report.