Re: How to use refer macros-agnostic way?

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: Re: How to use refer macros-agnostic way?
Date: Thu, 09 Jan 2020 22:03:43 +0000

Hi Piotr,

Tadziu wrote:
> > I quess that groff -R automatically activates refer.tmac and all
> > registers like [F become available. Correct?
>
> No, -R only filters the input document through the "refer"
> preprocessor before processing it with the actual formatter "troff".

See groff(1)'s -V option to better understand what's happening.  In a
way, groff just obscures the workings for convenience, and I'm not sure
that's a good idea.  It may be better to avoid it and use the underlying
commands whilst you're learning.

    $ groff -V /dev/null
    troff -Tps /dev/null | grops
    $ groff -V -R /dev/null