How to use refer macros-agnostic way?

From: Piotr Piatrou
Subject: How to use refer macros-agnostic way?
Date: Fri, 3 Jan 2020 17:24:19 +0300

Dear GROFF folks!

Despite succesfully using GROFF for quite a while, I never happened to use the
refer. My recent attempt to start using it revealed a strange groff/refer
combination behaviour I really cannot put up with.

Please, correct me if I am wrong, but my impression is that groff cannot print
references or a bibliography list, if not compiled together with some macro
set: -ms, -mm, etc.

I attach a simple example (taken from this mailing list and modified a bit) to
illustrate the problem. What am I possibly doing wrong?

Since I am used to working with GROFF without any standard macro sets and use
my own super-compact macro set serving all my needs, I wish it was a way to
print, say, a bibliography list via

.[
$LIST$
.]

without invoking any standard macros as they may mess with my own ones.

Is it possible? At any rate, refer (or any other pre-processor) independence of
any macro set looks like a completely natural and logical feature.

--
Sincerely,
Piotr Piatrou