Re: Testing groff. Was: GNUism in groff tests

From: John Gardner
Subject: Re: Testing groff. Was: GNUism in groff tests
Date: Mon, 6 Jan 2020 12:40:42 +1100

> and they don't have to be unit tests.  In some ways, that's the worst
> option because they tend to be trivial functions being tested

Nobody's saying they should *all* be unit-tests. It's better to test
components in isolation first, verify they do what they're supposed to,
then follow up with more elaborate tests. That way, a regression is easier
to spot and narrow down when a test failure occurs. BDD-style testing can
help — I find tests easier to follow when they're written like plain English
<https://travis-ci.org/file-icons/atom/jobs/627541381#L506>:

Tree-view
  When a file entry is displayed
    When it matches an icon
      ✓ it shows the icon next to its name
      ✓ it removes the built-in icon class

Archive-view
  When a zip-file is opened
    ✓ it shows icons for each of its contents
    When a file is displayed
      ✓ it shows an icon next to its filename
      ✓ it tests path-sensitive rules

Once the simple stuff is covered, you can move on to running pixel-diffs
against corpora of documents (which don't necessarily have to use a
BDD-flavoured approach to testing).

I'm something of a pedantic prick when it comes to airtight test coverage,
so a lot of this mail probably stems from personal bias.