Problem with configure

From: Blake McBride
Subject: Problem with configure
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2019 12:39:21 -0600

Greetings,

I am attempting to build the latest rpo copy of groff on 64-bit LinuxMint
19.2.  I am running:

./bootstrap

./configure --prefix=/usr

and I am getting:

[...]
checking for pnmtops... found
checking whether pnmtops can handle the -nosetpage option... yes
checking whether make has builtin variable RM... yes
checking for a diff program that supports option -D... yes
checking whether test supports option -ef... yes
checking for bash... /bin/bash
checking whether we are using the GNU C Library >= 2.1 or uClibc...
(cached) yes
checking whether URW fonts in pfb format are available... found in
/usr/share/fonts/type1/gsfonts/
checking that generated files are newer than configure... done
configure: creating ./config.status
config.status: error: cannot find input file: `Makefile.in'

Sure appreciate any help.

Thanks.

Blake