Re: [groff] 1.22.4.rc4 - Final RC before official 1.22.4

From: Deri
Subject: Re: [groff] 1.22.4.rc4 - Final RC before official 1.22.4
Date: Fri, 07 Dec 2018 13:55:36 +0000

On Friday, 7 December 2018 01:41:54 GMT Ingo Schwarze wrote:
> Thanks a lot for looking into the matter!

Hi  Ingo

Thanks for all your  help.

> I think you should commit and push the change to add the '<' before
> Bertrand releases.  You already tested on little endian, i tested
> on big endian, and it appears to work on both.

I have pushed the fix.

> A quick grep gives me the impression that "unpack" is used nowhere else
> in the groff sources.  The pack(3p) a few lines below is probably not
> affected by endianness because 'H' is not a binary format.

Only gropdf handles the binary type .pfb fonts, so it is unlikely to be an
issue elsewhere.

The font specification says:-

Table 1 Header for a binary segment:-

Byte Position
Description
Byte 1:
always 128 (decimal)
Byte 2:
integer segment type (see above)
Bytes 3–6:
length of data segment, with byte 6 as the most significant byte.
Bytes 7–length:
data segment

So the font files I am trying to load will always be little endian.

Cheers