Re: [groff] 1.22.4.rc4 - Final RC before official 1.22.4

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: Re: [groff] 1.22.4.rc4 - Final RC before official 1.22.4
Date: Fri, 07 Dec 2018 17:05:21 +0000

Hi Ingo,

> > The time-honoured way to get modern-day `printf foo' is
> >
> >     echo foo | tr -d \\012
>
> Thanks for looking at it, but unfortunately, that does not work at all.
> I just tested the version you suggest, and even on OpenBSD, it does not
> work:
>
> .  pso sh -c \
>        "printf '%s' '.ds *f ' ; \
>         ls \\*[fontpath]/dev\*[.T] \
>         | tr -d \\012"

My pipeline was an example for sh(1);  its special characters need
escaping if it's to undergo more levels of interpretation.  The `.pso'
above keeps the printf when my point was to return to echo, and applies
my suggested tr to ls's output, not echo's.

I was giving an equivalent to `printf foo'.  This deleting tr is not
attempting to also do the work of any other tr that's transliterating to
spaces.

    $ cat ingo.tr
    .nf
    .pl 3
    .pso sh -c \
         "echo foo \
          | tr -d \\\\\\\\012 \
          | od -c"
    .bp
    .pso sh -c " \
        echo foo | \
        tr -d '\\\\012' | \
        od -c"
    .bp
    .pso sh -c " \
        echo foo | tr -d '\\\\012'; \
        ls /etc/passwd /etc/group | tr aeiou AEIOU"
    $
    $ nroff -U ingo.tr
    0000000   f   o   o
    0000003