Re: [groff] Release Candidate 1.22.4.rc3

From: John Gardner
Subject: Re: [groff] Release Candidate 1.22.4.rc3
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2018 17:38:01 +1100

> Yeah. Even Mojave (the latest MacOS) has Groff 1.19.2. I basically have
> to recompile and overwrite the base install after every system update.

You should really be using Homebrew <http://brew.sh/> for that:

$ brew install groff

$ which groff

/usr/local/bin/groff

However, the problem Ingo mentioned still persists because of a hardcoded
path in macOS's /etc/man.conf:

TROFF /usr/bin/groff -Tps -mandoc -c

Which means that even with the latest version of Groff installed, man-pages
are still formatted with an antique Groff installation:

NAME
       groff - front-end for the groff document formatting system

SYNOPSIS
       [file ...]  -h | --help -v | --version [option ...]

Notice the botched synopsis section – every option is missing because of a
missing .OP macro (thanks to a missing an-ext.tmac).

Bloody Apple...