Re: [Groff] Inappropriate info page!

From: Ted Harding
Subject: Re: [Groff] Inappropriate info page!
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2016 21:09:17 -0000 (GMT)

On 30-Dec-2016 20:33:51 Robert Thorsby wrote:

>> > He refers to doc/groff.texi line 5060.  The wording is questionable
>> > indeed.
>>
>> Oh.  I would have never expected that Larry Kollar's satirical remark
>> would be taken literally.  Well, today people probably need `humour
>> on/off' signs...  Note that Larry is from the US, as far as I know :-)
>>
>> > Reducing the paragraph to "Inches.  One inch is equal to 2.54 cm."
>> > (i.e. deleting the second sentence) should be sufficient information
>> > in this document.
>>
>> Sigh.  Certainly.
>
> Leave it as is.  Those who cannot take a joke do not deserve to be
> pandered to.
>
> However, I take offen[cs]e that groff contains no unit calculation for
> the cubit.
>
> BTW, wasn't the stuff up regarding the Hubble due to a metric/Imperial
> stupidity.?
>
> Robert

Just for explicit reference: the full test of the item is
  "Inches.  An antiquated measurement unit still in use
  in certain backwards countries with incredibly low-cost
  computer equipment. One inch is equal to 2.54cm.

And thank God we still use it in the KU (= "UK" backwards).
We have 36 of them to the yard (our historic predecessor
to the metre), which can therefore be divided by
  2, 3, 4, 6, 9, 12, 18, 36
to give lengths consisting of whole numbers of inches.
As opposed to the metre, which only has the coarser
divisions of
  2, 4, 5, 10, 20, 25, 50,100

Not to mention the devastation of our coinage when the
pound was Europeanised to became 100 pence (a "metric pound")
instead of 240 pence, 240 being divisible by
  2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8, 10, 12, 15, 20, 24, 30, 60, 80, 120
to give whole numbers of "old) pence per division.

As opposed to the new pound, European currencies, and the
American dollar, which only divide up, coarsely, like the metre.

No wonder this ountry was in the mood to quit Europe!

Best wishes to all (wherever ye may be ... ),
Ted.

E-Mail: (Ted Harding) <address@hidden>
Date: 30-Dec-2016  Time: 21:09:12
This message was sent by XFMail