Re: [Groff] groff performance in respect to hardware platform

From: Steffen Nurpmeso
Subject: Re: [Groff] groff performance in respect to hardware platform
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2016 12:04:26 +0100

Steve Izma <address@hidden> wrote:
 |On Wed, Mar 23, 2016 at 08:25:50PM -0400, Larry Kollar wrote:
 |> Subject: Re: [Groff] groff performance in respect to hardware platform
 |>> I'm wondering how CPU configurations affect groff processing
 |>> speed.

 |I guess I need to re-state the question. I'm quite familiar with
 |groff's speed, including with 1000-page (or larger) complex
 |books. But I'm wondering if anyone can tell me if groff benefits
 |from running on multiple CPU cores and multiple CPUs.

Well i guess that you benefit quite a bit due to the piped nature
in between all the several programs that are involved, right?
Unless one part of the pipeline has to wait for more input from
its predecessor it seems to me they can run in full parallel.
One more reason not to like grohtml, by the way. ^_^

--steffen