Re: [Groff] groff performance in respect to hardware platform

From: Damian McGuckin
Subject: Re: [Groff] groff performance in respect to hardware platform
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2016 14:48:32 +1100 (AEDT)

On Wed, 23 Mar 2016, Steve Izma wrote:

I assume that another way of asking this: "is groff
multithreaded?" I don't know enough about this kind of
programming to answer this by looking at the source code.

Not as far as I know.

I'm only considering this in a Linux environment (Debian stable, fairly recent kernel).

I suppose another factor is that since the Linux kernel is built for
parallelization, even if groff can only run on a single core,
all the operating system services can run on other cores without
interfering with groff's process.

Correct.

Or do I not know what I'm talking about here?

You DO know what you are talking about.

When I typeset large books, there are some stages, like adjusting track kerning on a page, where I want to see immediate results on my viewer.

Viewing is something entirely different.

Your 'groff' produces Postscript and you can either view the Postscript in whatever suits, or convert it to PDF and just use a PDF viewer.

My current hardware uses a five-year-old four-core CPU. A section of text maybe 50 pages long will update in my viewer in less than two seconds. But trying to do this for a 250-page book is tedious.

It is the rendering of the output that takes the time, not the 'groff' processing. Actually you might also have to think about your graphics display speed. You probably need to be asking questions of the maintainers of the viewer that you are using, not 'groff'.

That's why I'm interested in processing speed.

Regards - Damian

Pacific Engineering Systems International, 277-279 Broadway, Glebe NSW 2037
Ph:+61-2-8571-0847 .. Fx:+61-2-9692-9623 | unsolicited email not wanted here
Views & opinions here are mine and not those of any past or present employer