Re: [Groff] Licence question regarding an-ext

From: Keith Marshall
Subject: Re: [Groff] Licence question regarding an-ext
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 2015 22:38:37 +0000

On 17/12/15 22:10, Werner LEMBERG wrote:
>>> Well, the authors don't matter in a copyright notice.  The
>>> important bit is the copyright holder, and this is the FSF,
>>> regardless of the license.
>>
>> That seems like a decidedly U.S.-centric viewpoint to me, in clear
>> violation of the Berne Convention, and of the copyright law of most
>> countries worldwide: [...]
>
> Well, this is FSF stuff, which *is* US-centric.

With respect, and while IANAL, AIUI this is irrelevant.  Sure, the FSF
is a US based organization, but they distribute internationally, so are
bound by the applicable laws, in the countries where they distribute.
(Witness successful prosecutions of Microsoft, another US organization,
in the European Courts, for failure to comply with EU law when
distributing their products in EU countries).

FWIW, UK copyright law is also *utterly* insane, w.r.t. moral rights:
authors are required to *assert* their rights to be identified as such,
and the applicable law then expressly excludes the applicability of any
such assertion in respect of computer software!