Re: [Groff] Problem with MM spacing with macro immediately after a headi

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] Problem with MM spacing with macro immediately after a heading (H)
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 2015 20:52:04 +0100 (CET)

> Without trying to complicate the discussion, I used
>
>       .\"
>
> Not
>       \#
>
> The former is a pure comment. It does not enter into any processing.

This is not correct.  The escape `\"' strips everything to the end of
the line but *not* the final newline.  Consequently,

  .\"

is equivalent to

  .<newline>

A leading dot without a following macro name is an undefined request
that gets ignored.

On the other hand, `\#' ignores everything to the end of the line
*including* the final newline.  This means that e.g.

  Test
  \# foo
  Test

produces

  Test Test

as expected.  It's a matter of taste whether you are going to use
`.\"' or `\#' for full-line comments.