Re: [Groff] Does groff match my needs?

From: Volker Wolfram
Subject: Re: [Groff] Does groff match my needs?
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2015 17:50:16 +0100

On 11/11/15 17:32, Joh-Tob Schäg wrote:
Dear groff-mailing list,

i seached for an alternative to latex and found groff. Sadly i found no IRC
or something where i could ask directly.
But before i invest time in groff or some macro system, i wanted to know if
it fits my needs.
These are:
-support for ä,ü,ö,Ä...
-supporting word division for german (possible compound) words
-supports A4 paper format
-export as pdf

Are these features supported?
Sincerly,
address@hidden

Hello,

I'm the greatest fan of TROFF since I've switched from LaTeX to it.

Started with writing letters, then technical descriptions, drawings in 3D (own macros), and finished with a poem book. All in german language.

Writing equations, drawing pics and making tables is very easy.

And much more...

And all of your questioned features are supported.

I'm using a combination of GROFF, hunspell, make, vim and mupdf.

If you look for easy making posters, id card and other stuff you can try GMT (generic mapping tools). pstext and psimage are good friends too.

Volker