Re: [Groff] Does groff match my needs?

From: Damian McGuckin
Subject: Re: [Groff] Does groff match my needs?
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2015 09:31:32 +1100 (AEDT)

On Wed, 11 Nov 2015, Clarke Echols wrote:

I started using troff in 1985.  I've been using groff since 2009.

Myself since 1978. There are others on this list which go back longer.

I used troff to produce the HP-UX Reference (Unix man pages manual for HP for most of five years (3000 pages in 3 volumes at HP-UX 9.0). I also used it (with my own macros to lay out and create the artwork for printed circuits for use in a commercial electronic controller. I've used it for everything from business cards to single-page letters to 23-page white papers to 300 page novels and non-fiction books.

Impressive.

I've used it to produce white papers for clients and user manuals for power supplies used in NATO installations and US Army equipment.

While I do not work for someone as large as HP, we have used it for 90% of corporate reports over the last 30+ years. 50% of our published technical papers, and all corporate invoices and purchase orders. We have also used it as the output language of programs which write auto-generated reports and letters from (generally) databases.

I write my own macros for everything I do.  It's an incredible tool
if you take the time and trouble to get good at it.

I have used the 'MM' macros since 1978. I wrote and published a 50-page tutorial on MM in the late 1970s. I occassionally write my own macro.

I am writing a 100 page book currently on parallel programming using it.

>  These are:
>  -support for ?,?,?,?...
>  -supporting word division for german (possible compound) words
>  -supports A4 paper format
>  -export as pdf
> > Are these features supported?

I can confirm all except word-division of german words. Others need to confirm that.

Regards - Damian

Pacific Engineering Systems International, 277-279 Broadway, Glebe NSW 2037
Ph:+61-2-8571-0847 .. Fx:+61-2-9692-9623 | unsolicited email not wanted here
Views & opinions here are mine and not those of any past or present employer