[Groff] Typesetting Russian text using pdfmom

From: Koz Ross
Subject: [Groff] Typesetting Russian text using pdfmom
Date: Fri, 6 Nov 2015 09:35:11 +1300

I'm trying to compile a document full of Russian, which Emacs renders without
issue. When I try to call 'pdfmom -K utf-8 sourcefile.mom > outputfile.pdf', I
get a whole pile of warnings that look like this:

sourcefile.mom:2: warning: can't find special character `u0410'
[these repeat a few times with different characters]
sourcefile.mom:3: warning: can't find special character `u0413'
[these repeat a few more times with different character codes]
sourcefile.mom:3: can't translate character code 208 to special character `-D'
in transparent throughput
[these repeat a whole bunch of times, with a bunch of codes, many of which
appear many times]

The end result comes out full of garbage symbols. What am I doing wrong here?
--
Koz Ross <address@hidden>
www.retro-freedom.nz