Re: [Groff] Heirloom TBL problem

From: Tadziu Hoffmann
Subject: Re: [Groff] Heirloom TBL problem
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2015 11:00:32 +0200

> .ll works with MM in Heirloom and groff.  Tbl should too.
> It doesn't make sense to require all kinds of hoops just to
> get something as basic as .ll to work.

> Also, why would the problem be in MM?  MM is working.  I think
> the problem is in tbl.

I think you misunderstood me.  Tbl *is* using the line length
set with .ll (try using .ll *inside* the .DS/.DE pair), it's
just the line length of a different environment.  The whole
purpose of environments is to enable two or more concurrent
threads of formatting without them interfering with each other.
This includes having different current fonts, fill modes, and
line lengths in each environment.  You explicitly *don't* want
the .ll in one environment to influence that of another one.
And the stated purpose of mm is to abstract away from low-level
commands such as .ll, and instead use the mechanisms provided
by mm.