Re: [Groff] [Heirloom] Double word space after :

From: Tadziu Hoffmann
Subject: Re: [Groff] [Heirloom] Double word space after :
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2014 19:31:48 +0100

> > So the default groff behavior of adding additional space
> > between sentences also does not follow today's typical US
> > typography.  You would have to specify ".ss 12 0" to achieve
> > US convention.

> It seems ease of reading or better comprehension (which are
> the reasons I prefer extra space after sentences, etc.) have
> nothing to do with "the rules."
> Sigh.

The situation is even worse.  I've recently read a novel where
(particularly noticeable in tightened-up lines) the space
after a sentence-period was *reduced* compared to the normal
word-spacing on the same line.  It appears the attitude is that
all the empty space above the period is already room enough.
Sheesh.