Re: [Groff] [Heirloom] Double word space after :

From: Clarke Echols
Subject: Re: [Groff] [Heirloom] Double word space after :
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2014 15:14:26 -0700

On 11/12/2014 03:02 PM, Werner LEMBERG wrote:

That is new to me.  I thought that only one space is
used after a colon.

Why do people always think that space should exist
only in integer multiples of a basic space quantum?

This is what people used with old typewriters.

How about 1.5 times the wordspace after a period that ends a
sentence, 1.2 times the wordspace after a colon?  Or some other
fraction?

groff's `.ss' command allows this.

     Werner

I usually set .ss to 1.6 so I get a clear break between
sentences that is longer than a single space, without being
as obvious as a double space which was standard practice
with typewriters.

I find documents with longer spacing at end of sentence
much easier to read with less attention needed to notice
end-of-sentence punctuation characters.

I also often place double spaces after a colon so I can
get the mental "break" for the reader when the colon
introduces a list or other block of text.  There are a
few occasions where I use only a single space, but I
base it more on what "feels" right in a given situation,
without abiding some "established" rule someone may pull
from a style guide or manual of style.

I've never had any complaints, other than perhaps a rare
objection from an academic purist.

Clarke

Clarke

Clarke