Re: [Groff] Mission statement

From: Deri James
Subject: Re: [Groff] Mission statement
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2014 18:45 +0000

On Mon 17 Mar 2014 19:11:50 Werner LEMBERG wrote:
> > http://chuzzlewit.co.uk:8080/cgi-bin/WebManPDF.pl/man:/groff_mdoc
>
> This is amazing!  Wonderful!  I like it a lot.  Indeed, viewing man
> pages this way makes fun.
>
> What software is this?  I've never seen before such a system.  Can you
> give more details?
>

>     Werner

Hi Werner,

Thanks. All I wrote was a little preprocessor for groff which uses Keith
Marshalls pdfmark calls in the appropriate places then pump it through
gropdf. The pre-process is less than 500 lines of code, it'll probably take
me longer than ten years to get it completely Ok!

The web front end is currently a tiny cgi program which calls "man -t" which
I've configured to call the preprocessor and groff -T pdf. When I've battle
hardened it a bit I'll make it available.

I also plan to expand the web part. I plan to parse the whatis file to
produce a html index, to give the web crawlers something to bite into.

Cheers

Deri