Re: [Groff] Mission statement

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: Re: [Groff] Mission statement
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2014 16:40:44 +0000

Hi Charlie,

> Since then there have been lots of tweaks to automate as much as
> possible, but at the heart there is still a need to manually
> categorize the commands.  I wish manpages would contain something that
> would help with that.  The existing section numbers are next to
> useless, since almost everything I'm trying to get a handle on is in
> section 1.

Have you thought about using your system's package manager to get a
per-package structure?

    $ dpkg -L ed | grep '/man..*/'
    /usr/share/man/man1/ed.1.gz
    /usr/share/man/man1/red.1.gz

Also some put each package in a section, e.g.

    $ dpkg -s ed | grep '^Section:'
    Section: editors

so if per-package was too fine a granularity you could have
per-(package-)section instead.

Cheers, Ralph.