Re: [Groff] .FONT for man(7)

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: Re: [Groff] .FONT for man(7)
Date: Sun, 05 Jan 2014 01:15:43 +0000

Hi Bernd,

You've added .FONT to
http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/groff.git/tree/tmac/an-ext.tmac which
starts off by saying

    .\" Written by Eric S. Raymond <address@hidden>
    .\"            Werner Lemberg <address@hidden>
    .\"
    .\" Version 2012-Mar-05
    .\"
    .\" Copyright (C) 2007, 2009, 2012 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
    .\" You may freely use, modify and/or distribute this file.
    .\"
    .\"
    .\" The code below provides extension macros for the `man' macro package.
    .\" Care has been taken to make the code portable; groff extensions are
    .\" properly hidden so that all troff implementations can use it without
    .\" changes.
    .\"
    .\" With groff, this file is sourced by the `man' macro package itself.
    .\" Man page authors who are concerned about portability might add the
    .\" used macros directly to the prologue of the man page(s).
    .
    .
    .\" Convention: Auxiliary macros and registers start with `m' followed
    .\"             by an uppercase letter or digit.

However, .FONT is not portable code, groff extensions are not hidden,
and auxiliaries don't match /^m[A-Z0-9]/.

> > Finally, the functionality you propose is completely pointless.
>
> Forget it, keep being dull and controlled by voices in the brain.

Ingo's right that .FONT isn't needed.  There doesn't seem to be a
relevant argument from you that it is.

> > >     Put under GPL2 and reorder groff_man.man.
>
> > You are not the author.
>
> But I am also an author for this man page, not the only one.

http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/groff.git/log/tmac/groff_man.man really
doesn't suggest you've carte blanche to change its licence.
http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/groff.git/commit/tmac/groff_man.man?id=309660d6de892de92c9b4b89c160cb4e4606736b
starts by saying the Copyright is with the FSF.  The old permissions
differ quite a bit from GPLv2 and I don't see why they should change,
and why you should change them without seeking consensus first.
Licencing tends to be a prickily subject!  :-)

(Also, I find the patch too large for that file.  It mixes a licence
change, source-formatting changes like taking out lines of just "." and
adding some in elsewhere, and the re-ordering, which looks large in a
diff.  It would be easier for others to read and vet if it was several
small logical patches.)

Cheers, Ralph.