Re: [Groff] .FONT for man(7)

From: Bernd Warken
Subject: Re: [Groff] .FONT for man(7)
Date: Sat, 4 Jan 2014 23:34:15 +0100 (CET)

> Von: "Ingo Schwarze" <address@hidden>
>
> Bernd Warken wrote on Sat, Jan 04, 2014 at 07:23:42PM +0000:
> >     Add request .FONT to an-ext.tmac.
>
> I consider this a very, very bad idea for multiple reasons
> and kindly ask that it be reverted, completely.

No, it's logical evolution.  That's modern groff, not the limitation
to the abbreviation bullshit of the 1970s.  RUNOFF of the 1960s at MIT
had the original long request names, the then coming roff abbreviations
were very dull, when compared to the original.  Historical Unix was not
everything.

> The man(7) language is legacy and should not be used for writing
> new manuals.  We have both mdoc(7) and various other systems for
> writing new manuals.

I did not change man.7, but only groff_man.man.  That's totally legal,
because that's part of the groff, not only historical stuff.
It's a free software documentation, nothing else.

> It is hard to see how one could do more harm than by adding new
> features to a language almost exclusively kept for compatibility.

I did not harm any compatibility features.  It is just an addition
for humans with a free mind, who think logically.

> What if the document at hand uses \*[result],

Maybe you are right. I'll change the .ds-name into `FONT_result".

> Finally, the functionality you propose is completely pointless.

Forget it, keep being dull and controlled by voices in the brain.
The European direction is now: "The one who listens to voices is
bad or evil".  In Germany, many politicians are now accused to have
stolen the content of their thesis documents.  That's not true,
this information was stolen by `you know who'!
Have a look at http://7dim.org, ignore, when evil forces try to
forbid the reading!
That's it!

> >     Put under GPL2 and reorder groff_man.man.
> You are not the author.

But I am also an author for this man page, not the only one.
groff is free software, so GPL2 is right.  And groff_man.man is a groff
document, not some historical bullshit like man(7).

> >  2013-01-02  Deri James  <address@hidden>
> >
> >     * src/devices/gropdf/gropdf.pl: gropdf use to fail when handling
> > -     output from preconv, now works.
> > +   output from preconv, now works.
> It looks like you broke the ChangeLog as well.

No, that's only a fixing of broken empty spaces and tabs when using Emacs.
You got a wrong information, so change your mind.

I will not change anything, except the renaming of `result'.

Bernd Warken