Re: [Groff] Where do we go from here?

From: Eric S. Raymond
Subject: Re: [Groff] Where do we go from here?
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2013 11:21:06 -0500

Colin Watson <address@hidden>:
> I'm happy with the quality of the bzr import we did, and long preferred
> its UI, but even I have begun moving my projects to git in the
> acknowledgement that it's won the DVCS wars;

I myself prefer Mercurial's UI to git, but have reached the same rueful
conclusion.  One major point in git's favor is the fast-import stream
format - without it, reposurgeon would never have come to be and the
groff conversion would have been *considerably* more difficult.

You say you're happy with bzr's UI.  Does it not seem to you that bzr is
deeply confused about what its unit of work is?  I tried learning bzr
in order to work on Emacs and found that the distinction between repos
and detached branches made my head hurt a lot.