Re: [Groff] Where do we go from here?

From: Colin Watson
Subject: Re: [Groff] Where do we go from here?
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2013 13:51:49 +0000

On Fri, Nov 15, 2013 at 08:35:02AM +0100, Werner LEMBERG wrote:
> Well, groff is mirrored since years as a Bazaar project at
>
>   https://code.launchpad.net/~vcs-imports/groff
>
> However, I've never checked how well they did the CVS import.
>
> I was never happy with bzr since it always was (and still is) very
> slow.  I much prefer git.  Maybe a forthcoming maintainer has
> different preferences...

I'm happy with the quality of the bzr import we did, and long preferred
its UI, but even I have begun moving my projects to git in the
acknowledgement that it's won the DVCS wars; I wouldn't advocate groff
switching to bzr at this point.  I expect I'd switch the Debian
packaging over to git once there's an upstream tree to base it on.

In passing, I might be able to help with the automake work, maybe; I've
converted several projects to automake and gnulib, and that's how I tend
to build new projects these days.  groff is older and more complex than
most, but probably not intractably so.

I'd like to join the chorus of thanks to Werner for his impeccable work
and leadership over the years.