Re: [Groff] Fw: Installing/Running groff-1.21 on W7 x64

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [Groff] Fw: Installing/Running groff-1.21 on W7 x64
Date: Mon, 07 Oct 2013 19:41:08 +0300

> From: "John W. Smay" <address@hidden>
> Cc: <address@hidden>
> Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2013 08:28:57 -0700
>
> Now try grotty.exe -v (works on my 1.17 env)
> C:\Users\jws\jws.t>C:\Applications\groff-1.21\bin\grotty.exe -v
> Access is denied.

So it looks like your problem with grotty, which is also invoked by
"groff -v", see this output on my system:

  D:\gnu\test>groff -v
  GNU groff version 1.21
  GNU groff comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
  You may redistribute copies of groff and its subprograms
  under the terms of the GNU General Public License.
  For more information about these matters, see the file named COPYING.

  called subprograms:

  GNU grotty (groff) version 1.21
  GNU troff (groff) version 1.21

  D:\gnu\test>groff -v -V
  GNU groff version 1.21
  GNU groff comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
  You may redistribute copies of groff and its subprograms
  under the terms of the GNU General Public License.
  For more information about these matters, see the file named COPYING.

  called subprograms:

  troff -v -Tascii | grotty -v

> set.txt is attached .....

Thanks.  I see nothing strange in particular here.

Some random ideas:

  . Try removing grotty.exe and extract it anew from the binary zip.

  . Remove from the environment any variables that aren't there on a
    vanilla Windows system, and see if any of them helps.  In
    particular, I'd remove/modify these:

    . DISPLAY -- remove it
    . Path -- remove all the C:\APPLIC~1\mks directories
    . ROOTDIR -- remove
    . SHELL -- remove
    . TERMCAP -- remove
    . TERMINFO -- remove

    You can easily do these changes in a separate cmd.exe window, by
    typing the appropriate "set" commands manually -- these changes
    will not affect other shell windows or future windows/programs.
    If any of the above changes do fix the problem, you will have to
    see whether you really need the offending variable(s).

That's all I have for the moment, sorry.