Re: [Groff] Fw: Installing/Running groff-1.21 on W7 x64

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [Groff] Fw: Installing/Running groff-1.21 on W7 x64
Date: Sun, 06 Oct 2013 22:48:54 +0300

[Please keep the list on the CC.]

> From: "John W. Smay" <address@hidden>
> Date: Sun, 6 Oct 2013 12:05:23 -0700
>
> Eli, As you suggest I changed ownership from Administrators to smay8/jws in
> all groff-1.21 directories and files, but results are the same, groff.exe
> seems not to have permission to execute troff.exe.

There are no permissions on Windows for one program to invoke
another.  Permissions belong only to users who run those programs.

Can you invoke troff.exe directly from the cmd.exe prompt?  E.g., try
"troff --help".  If you can invoke troff like that, then the problem
has nothing to do with permissions of troff.exe itself.

I would also try running grotty.exe from the command line.

If running troff.exe and grotty.exe from the command line works,
please show your entire environment (type "set > env.txt" from the
cmd.exe prompt and post env.txt).

Also, which program did you use to unpack the groff-1.21-w32-bin.zip
archive?  Did that program preserve the directory structure recorded
in the zip file?

> Running all this from an MKSToolKit Korn shell,  will perhaps try from
> cygwin/bin/bash.exe in a few days when I get that tuned up.

Please try running from the Windows cmd.exe shell.  I don't know what
will MKS shell or Cygwin Bash do to Groff, I never tried.