Re: [Groff] mom version 2.0

From: Peter Schaffter
Subject: Re: [Groff] mom version 2.0
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2012 00:10:46 -0400

Petr --

On Thu, Sep 13, 2012, Petr Man wrote:
> I have tried the new mom version and it works great. However, I have
> found an issue with the new heading macros. The documentation states
> the parameters are position independent, but that doesn't seem to be
> so for NUMBER and COLOR.
> Following produces as expected numbers and colors the heading:
>
> .HEADING_STYLE      1 \
> FAMILY              GSCE \
> FONT                B \
> QUAD                LEFT \
> NO_CAPS             \
> COLOR               ECBBLUE \
> NUMBER              \
> SPACE               OFF \
> UNDERLINE           OFF \
> SIZE                +2 \
> BASELINE_ADJUST     3p
>
> When I move NUMBER one line down, I lose the numbering at this heading
> level, every line further I move it, I lose next heading. Pretty much
> same goes for COLOR, the further down I move it, I lose color.

The problem you're experiencing comes from two incorrect parameters,

  SPACE     OFF
  UNDERLINE OFF

This is quite understandable if you're accustomed to heading
management in pre-2.0.  With the new HEADING_STYLE, those
parameters, as documented, should be

  NO_SPACE_AFTER
  NO_UNDERSCORE

When I fix your HEADING_STYLE, the problem you report goes away.
(NO_SPACE AFTER and NO_UNDERSCORE are defaults, so there's actually
no need to include them.)

> Also, the TOC will print all the headings with the same color as I
> have specified in HEADING_STYLE. Previously mom has done this as well,
> but I added a setting in my version. Could you add configurable colors
> to TOC?

I believe the problem here is that your ECBBLUE too closely
resembles the default PDF_LINK_COLOR, with the result that you're
mistaking what's happening.  Entries in the TOC are now clickable
PDF links, so what you're seeing is the TOC using the default
PDF_LINK_COLOR, not your heading colour.  From the docs:

  | When files containing a table of contents are processed with pdfmom, |
  | entries in the table of contents are clickable links when the        |
  | document is viewed at the screen. The colour of the links is the     |
  | last .PDF_LINK_COLOR in effect, so if you wish another colour, it    |
  | should be set just before issuing .TOC.                              |

Assuming you want standard black for TOC entries,

  .PDF_LINK_COLOR black
  .TOC

--
Peter Schaffter