Re: [Groff] Apostrophe mapped onto single closing quotation mark on utf8

From: Anton Shepelev
Subject: Re: [Groff] Apostrophe mapped onto single closing quotation mark on utf8 device
Date: Thu, 3 May 2012 00:19:55 +0400

Tadziu Hoffmann:

>> Could  you  please  tell  me the purpose of this
>> mapping in unicode.tmac:
>>
>>      .char ' \[cq]
>>
>> This causes all apostrophes  to  be  typeset  as
>> closing single quotes.  Is it correct?
>
> Yes.    Apostrophes  and  (english)  single  right
> quotes are identical glyphs.  What you're probably
> thinking  of  as  "apostrophe" is a crude hack in-
> vented for typewriters and is not used  in  "real"
> typography.

Thanks.   I needed to make the output of Tutf8 a su-
perset of Tascii and was wondering about these  dif-
ferences.

Another   question   is   about   the   hyphen  sym-
bol -- \[hy].  Is it possible to tell groff  to  use
the  standard  hyphen-minus  sign of the ASCII table
instead of  \[u2012]  for  hyphenation?   I  couln't
achieve  it  by commeting out the corresponding line
in unicode.tmac, and in the fonts for the  utf8  de-
vice I couldn't find this character...

Anton