Re: [Groff] groff to RTF or Word

From: Clarke Echols
Subject: Re: [Groff] groff to RTF or Word
Date: Sun, 08 Jan 2012 23:37:40 -0700

On 01/08/2012 08:47 PM, address@hidden wrote:
I have a paper composed in notrivial groff (uses pic,
eqn, tbl, and .PSPIC), which I'd like to submit to a
journal that takes any kind of digital text--as
long as it's Word or RTF.  I haven't been able to find
any tool that offers much help in getting from here to
there. I'd be delighted if somebody could tell me I
missed something capable.

Doug McIlroy

It has been a while, but I think I was reasonably successful at groffing to PDF
and then importing the PDF into Word.

Mike Bianchi

I did a Google search for "convert pdf to word" and selected the link
to:

   http://convertpdftoword.net/

Use browse field and button to find the file on your system, press
the convert button, and you can open it with your local Word program.

I took a groff file and formatted it into PostScript. Used the Linux
ps2pdf command to create a PDF file, did the conversion and opened it
in LibreWriter.  It did a sort of okay job, but dropped all of the
font changes (no bold or italics).