Re: [Groff] groff to RTF or Word

From: Gaius Mulley
Subject: Re: [Groff] groff to RTF or Word
Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2012 16:26:06 +0000

Larry Kollar <address@hidden> writes:

> On Jan 8, 2012, at 4:35 PM, Doug McIlroy <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> I have a paper composed in notrivial groff (uses pic,
>> eqn, tbl, and .PSPIC), which I'd like to submit to a
>> journal that takes any kind of digital text--as
>> long as it's Word or RTF.  I haven't been able to find
>> any tool that offers much help in getting from here to
>> there. I'd be delighted if somebody could tell me I
>> missed something capable.
>
> You might try converting to HTML and import that into Word. You can
> get reasonable HTML out of groff using grohtml and some cleanup (HTML
> Tidy is good for this), except for tables. I have an awk filter that
> converts simple tbl input to HTML though.
>
> -- Larry

Hi,

I convert to html and use a script to generate rtf:

$ make 3.rtf
groff -P-r -P-b -s -p -t -e -Thtml -mgp 3.n > 3.html
../../SHELL/html2rtf 3.html
rm 3.html

the script is:

as Larry suggests it doesn't handle tables but it does a reasonable job
with titles, basic formatting and font changes,

regards,
Gaius