Re: [Groff] holistic widow elimination

From: Peter Schaffter
Subject: Re: [Groff] holistic widow elimination
Date: Sat, 7 Jan 2012 18:50:30 -0500

On Sun, Jan 08, 2012, Robert Thorsby wrote:
> Is there an alternative method that is better/faster/cleaner than
> the use of complementary values for \s and \H?  For example,

Track kerning, via the .tk request, and word spacing via .ss.
Changing what used to be called the "set size" of your type (ie the
\s \H combo, which amounts to pseudo-condensing the characters) is
last resort territory, and shouldn't generally be used in running
text at all, unless the running text has the same alteration
throughout.

If you're using the mom macros, .EW <n> (extra white) and .RW <n>
(reduce white) simplify track kerning (the mnemonics are borrowed
from the CompuGraphic 8xxx series command set), and .WS +|-<n>
can be used to adjust the wordspacing.

O.T. --
> To be or not to be. -- Shakespeare
> To do is to be. -- Nietzsche
> To be is to do. -- Sartre
> Do be do be do. -- Sinatra

The last time I saw this was on a washroom wall at the University of
Toronto, right beside the now classic, "co ito ergo sum".

--
Peter Schaffter

Author of The Binbrook Caucus
http://www.schaffter.ca