[Groff] cyrillic hyphenation with DVI backend

From: Grigoriy A. Sitkarev
Subject: [Groff] cyrillic hyphenation with DVI backend
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2011 08:50:55 +0300

Hello, list!

I am using groff with cyrillic.

Producing PostScript with hyphenation via -mru and -Tps options is smooth. Thanks to the guy who made an entry on the groff wiki concerning this topic.

The quality of the default PostScript output, when it comes to mathematics, is not very pleasent for my eye. Following some suggestions found in the mailing list archive, I decided to use DVI backend. After digging and playing a little with grodvi and devdvi settings I got the eye-pleasing output.

I also succeeded with adding cyrillic fonts from AMS Fonts and cmcyr packages. The process went smooth too, the only mess caused handcrafting mapping files, because cmcyr and AMS Fonts use different encoding. Fortunately, AMS provides a complete font charts and tweaking mapping files for my purposes was not very difficult.

Sadly, I couldn't get cyrillic hyphenation with DVI backend. It works fine for the latin and DVI, it works fine for cyrillic and PS, but it doesn't works for cyrillic and DVI. When I supply -mru option together with -Tdvi, nothing happens and hyphenation seems not to work.

I guess, choosing DVI backend somehow changes hyphenation settings.

Any suggestions will be very valuable.

Thanks in advance.

--
Grisha Sitkarev