Re: [Groff] tbl using \$_

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] tbl using \$_
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2011 14:41:11 +0100 (CET)

>>> what takes me wonder is the question what went wrong with \$_ ?
>>
>> I don't know where the "\$_" comes from.  It's not in the tbl
>> manpage, nor in the original tbl paper from Bell Labs.
>
> I got it from UTP page 487. This is my basic source.

Obviously a bunch of typos.  For groff tbl, the primary documentation
is $(Q#|(B you guess it $(Q#|(B its man page:

  If a data line consists of only `_' or `=', a single or double line,
  respectively, is drawn across the table at that point; if a single
  item in a data line consists of only `_' or `=', then that item is
  replaced by a single or double line, joining its neighbours.  If a
  data item consists only of `\_' or `\=', a single or double line,
  respectively, is drawn across the field at that point which does not
  join its neighbours.

> I read it this way:
> |\_|    will result in  |  --------  |

No, this is `_'.