Re: [Groff] tbl using \$_

From: Tadziu Hoffmann
Subject: Re: [Groff] tbl using \$_
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2011 20:29:15 +0100

> This works fine but it is not a future proof solution :)

Hmmm.  Why not?

> what takes me wonder is the question what went wrong with \$_ ?

I don't know where the "\$_" comes from.  It's not in the tbl
manpage, nor in the original tbl paper from Bell Labs.

Tbl can do two different line fills.  "\_" as the only cell
content will draw a line with the width of the column's other
contents;  "_" as the only cell content will draw a line the
full width of the column (this is what the UTP says "\$_"
will do; might this be an error?).  However, in both cases
the line will be raised to about the center of the lowercase
letters, not below the baseline as you would like to have.

> and can some one make the \*_ solution more flexable so it
> will fill the whole column automaticly ?

What, in your opinion, should determine the width of the column?

One quick and dirty solution for the automatic fill would be

  .ds _ \v'.1m'\D'l \\n[3w2]u 0'\v'-.1m'

where 3w0 refers to the width of first column, 3w1 to that
of the second column, 3w2 to that of the third column, etc.,
but this is not a solution to be recommended since it depends
on the internals of tbl's implementation.

> (i have changed the 6c every time this works for me but may be
> not for others)

I had thought it was an advantage to be able to specify the
width explicitly, given your example where it was supposed
to be a space reserved for remarks...