Re: [Groff] Groff and ePub?

From: Larry Kollar
Subject: Re: [Groff] Groff and ePub?
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2010 22:15:15 -0500

brian m. carlson wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 17, 2010 at 04:49:43PM -0500, Timothy Groves wrote:
>> Has anyone come up with filters, macros, etc., to produce an ePub
>> file from groff source?
>
> Since ePub is basically XHTML in a zip file, you could create one with
> -Txhtml.  The problem with using groff here is that the text has to be
> reflowable, and groff doesn't do that very well.

Actually, if you tailor your document to produce HTML, and create some
post-processing filters, you can get usable output from groff. Using HTML Tidy
helps a lot. I haven't tried creating ePub, but I probably ought to.

If you're trying to produce a standard novel, it should be relatively easy
since there's not a lot of formatting involved. Technical documents with lots
of tables and illustrations would require some work and maybe some
hand-tweaking.

-- Larry