Re: [Groff] Groff and ePub?

From: Pierre-Jean
Subject: Re: [Groff] Groff and ePub?
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2010 14:56:54 +0100

"brian m. carlson" <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 17, 2010 at 04:49:43PM -0500, Timothy Groves wrote:
> > Has anyone come up with filters, macros, etc., to produce an ePub
> > file from groff source?
>
> Since ePub is basically XHTML in a zip file, you could create one with
> -Txhtml.  The problem with using groff here is that the text has to be
> reflowable, and groff doesn't do that very well.

I've not tested them, but I know that there are a few tools that
produce html output from *roff source code without using roff,
and so, probably without fixing the content of each line, nor
adding spaces to justify them:
  - ManServer for document using the man macro format:
    http://www.squarebox.co.uk/users/rolf/download/manServer.shtml
  - ms2html for documents using the ms macro format:
    http://hpux.connect.org.uk/hppd/hpux/Text/ms2html-1.2/

They could probably be usefull before using an html to epub tool,
One such tool, simply named html2epub is for example given with
Calibre: http://calibre-ebook.com/about

Please, send your solution on the list if you find something
usefull.

Pierre-Jean.