Re: [Groff] Extending .tm to allow for file handles

From: Larry Kollar
Subject: Re: [Groff] Extending .tm to allow for file handles
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2010 14:04:13 -0500

Tom Borawski wrote:

I was wondering if their is any possibility having .tm write
to anything other than STDOUT ? It would make managing forward
references (when used with 2 groff passes) much easier.

In my Makefile, I use 2> to redirect stderr to a file:

        groff $(FLAGS) -rTocGen=1 -z stuff bookfile.ms 2>bookfile.aux
        ## do stuff with the aux file ##
        groff $(FLAGS) stuff bookfile.ms >bookfile.ps 2>bookfile.err

The TocGen register turns on all the stuff needed for contents, cross- refs, and index; it's all output using .tm.

I for one won't turn on -U on a file from just anyone until I understand what's going to happen. :-)

        Larry