Re: [Groff] gs and grops problems

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] gs and grops problems
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2010 14:06:42 +0100 (CET)

> - it seems that grops that came with 10.6.2 has a problem with any input:
>
>   grops:<standard input>:4:
>         fatal error: cannot create temporary file:
>                       No such file or directory
>
>   I wonder whether Werner could look-up this error message in the
>   source code and say what the problem is.

The message comes from file libs/libgroff/tmpfile.cpp, function
`xtmpfile'.  It passes `groffXXXXXX' as a template for the temporary
file name to the `mkstemp' function and opens it.  A typical name
tried for such a temporary file is e.g. `groff34BXC1'.  The location
of this temporary file is a directory which name is specified by the
following algorithm:

  . If the value of the `GROFF_TMPDIR' environment variable is set,
    use it.

  . Otherwise, if the value of the `TMPDIR' environment variable is
    set, use it.

  . On Windows and MSDOS, try the `TMP' and `TEMP' environment
    variables too.

  . If everything fails, open the file in the `\tmp' directory.

This is explained in groff(1) but a proper hint is missing in
grops(1).  I've just added it.