Re: [Groff] header and footer in a cv with -mom

From: Peter Schaffter
Subject: Re: [Groff] header and footer in a cv with -mom
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2009 12:02:46 -0400

On Mon, Sep 14, 2009, Jan-Herbert Damm wrote:
> The following setup seems to wipe out all Headers and Footers.
> why?
>
> ########### snip from cv.mom ##########
> .PRINTSTYLE TYPESET
> .PAPER A4
> .AUTHOR "Jan-Herbert Damm"
> .TITLE "Curriculum Vitae"
> .DOCHEADER OFF
> \#
> .L_MARGIN 2c
> .R_MARGIN 2c
> .T_MARGIN 6P
> .B_MARGIN 6P
> \#
> .HEADERS_AND_FOOTERS \
> CENTER "\s[9]\l'12P'\h'2P'jan-herbert damm - generalist\h'2P'\l'12P'" \
> CENTER "\E*[S8]jan-herbert damm, xxx"
> \#
> .HEADER_RULE OFF
> .FOOTER_RULE OFF
> .FOOTER_ON_FIRST_PAGE
> \#
> .START
> ############# end snip from cv.mom ################

I'm unable to reproduce this behaviour.  When I paste the above into
your original file (removing all similar requests in the original,
of course) and process it with

    groff -mom -P-pa4 cv.mom > cv.ps

headers and footers appear as expected.  The only thing I can think
of right now is that perhaps you neglected to pass groff the -P-pa4
option.  If you forgot to do so, the footers would get cut off
because mom's default papersize is the shorter LETTER.  Which
doesn't account for *both* headers and footers getting wiped out,
though.

Which version of mom are you using?  (I'm grasping at straws here;
HEADERS_AND_FOOTERS have been stable for quite a while now.)

Also, where you've set the point size for the footer, you've entered

    \E*[S8]

which should be \E*S[8].  Not that this accounts for your
disappearing headers and footers; the only effect is that the point
size isn't changed 8.

Could you send the entire file again, in exactly the form that's
causing you trouble?  If you're concerned about privacy (it's your
cv; you may not want just anyone reading it), feel free to do so
off-list.

--
Peter Schaffter