Re: [Groff] ?Bug in tbl?

From: Tadziu Hoffmann
Subject: Re: [Groff] ?Bug in tbl?
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2008 19:47:47 +0200

> The following does not come out as I would expect
[snip]

After a bit of experimentation (use option "allbox" to make the
widths visible) I believe the behavior can be explained as
follows:

For calculating the cell widths, all cell contents are inspected
*independently*.  Thus, the apparently longest line ("Let her
fame spread far and wide") does not see the "\s[18]" of the other
cell and is therefore assumed to be at the default point size,
and the width of the cell is computed accordingly.  On output,
however, the individual cells are not sandboxed, so the "\s[18]"
stays in effect, leading to the "strange" appearance.