[Groff] ?Bug in tbl?

From: Ted Harding
Subject: [Groff] ?Bug in tbl?
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2008 16:08:14 +0100 (BST)

Hi Folks,
The following does not come out as I would expect
(formatting with groff -t -ms .... ):

.LP
.TS
centre tab(#);
c.
\fB\s[24]ZIMBABWE\s0\fP

\f[BI]\s[18]Translation\s0\fP

.T&
l.
\s[18]God bless Africa,

Let her fame spread far and wide

Hear our prayer:

May God bless us!

Come, Spirit, come!

Come! Holy Spirit!

Come and bless us, her children!
.TE

I expected the title ("ZIMBABWE") and the line below "Translation"
(being in the "c." context) to be centred above the span of the
longest line in the verse that follows ("Let her fame spread far
and wide"), all lines of the verse being left-justified (because
of "l.").

Instead, the longest word in the cntred block ("ZIMBABWE") is
left-justified in line the the lines of the verse, though
"Translation" is indeed centred relative to "ZIMBABWE".

In other words, I wanted to see something like

          Z I M B A B W E
            Translation

  God bless Africa,
  Let her fame spread far and wide
  Hear our prayer:
  May God bless us!
  Come, Spirit, come!
  Come! Holy Spirit!
  Come and bless us, her children!

and instead got:

  Z I M B A B W E
    Translation

  God bless Africa,
  Let her fame spread far and wide
  Hear our prayer:
  May God bless us!
  Come, Spirit, come!
  Come! Holy Spirit!
  Come and bless us, her children!

Is this a bug? Or have I been overlooking all my life
something I ought to know about tbl?

(groff 1.18.1)

With thanks,
Ted.