Re: [Groff] groff as a wiki langauge?

From: Larry Kollar
Subject: Re: [Groff] groff as a wiki langauge?
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2008 21:42:44 -0400

Zhang Weiwu wrote:

It's not clear to me why you get such bad formatting results.
Partly because it's difficult to strip away the non wiki content from
the web page (navigation bar, advertisement on the corner, "feed back"
input textarea);

If the wiki structures the HTML properly, all the various areas should be contained within div tags. It should be simple to extract only the content using an XSLT script.

Partly because there is no way to specify when this gets printed, how
the page header, footer look like. e.g. it's not possible to have a
front page with only title of document and author, date, centered in the page. I have to copy content from wiki into OpenOffice and format it there.

You can load HTML documents directly into OpenOffice. Of course, if you convert your wiki pages to groff, you can use the -Thtml output device and a little filtering to get HTML that will work quite nicely with OpenOffice.

-- Larry