Re: [Groff] pdfroff doubles the output

From: Keith Marshall
Subject: Re: [Groff] pdfroff doubles the output
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2008 17:10:03 +0100

On Thursday 26 June 2008 19:49:48 Louis Guillaume wrote:
> > To avoid this, you should add the `--no-toc-relocation' option...
> >
> >   $ pdfroff -tp -ms -mpdfmark --no-toc --report lipsum.ms > a.pdf
>
> Thank you, Keith; that does help. However I decided: "Why not throw
> the Table of Contents markups and a .TC macro in there and see what
> happens?" The result is the same doubled-up output, only with the
> table of contents.

Indeed, this is what will happen, if you use the above invocation.

> Perhaps I'm missing something else. Should I post my markup?

No thanks, there is no need for that.  This behaviour is expected;
notice this snippet, from my previous post:--

> > IIRC, the spdf macro package redefines the .TC macro, adding some
> > voodoo to suppress TOC output in the first pass, and body text in
> > the second, but if you don't use this macro, you get the full
> > body text in both passes, hence the doubled output you are seeing.

The invocation above is ok when you are *not* relying on traditional
ms .XS/.XA/.XE/.TC processing to generate a table of contents.  When
you *do* use this, then you also *must* use the magic of spdf.tmac's
redefined .TC macro, to suppress the repeated output, so the correct
form of invocation becomes:--

  $ pdfroff -tp -mspdf --report lipsum.ms > a.pdf

(Note that `-mspdf' is equivalent to `-ms -mpdfmark', and a bit more).

Regards,
Keith.