Re: [Groff] Eqn trouble in 1.19.2 on a new Mac Pro

From: Joerg van den Hoff
Subject: Re: [Groff] Eqn trouble in 1.19.2 on a new Mac Pro
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2008 14:05:17 +0100

On Mon, Feb 04, 2008 at 05:17:36PM -0500, Larry Kollar wrote:

> Robert Marks wrote:
>
> > Never seen anything like this -- suggestions?
> >
> > Input file testeq:
>
> [snip]
>
> My suggestion would be to compile groff from CVS and install over the shipped
> version. The magic incantation on OSX:
>
> ./configure --mandir=/usr/share/man --prefix=/usr
> make
> sudo make install

is this really a good idea? I'd rather put it out of harms (a.k.a. OS updates)
way, i.e. in a separate
tree which is put before /usr/bin in the search path (I use `--prefix=/soft',
since `/usr/local' seems not quite
what it should be (strictly local and left alone by the OS) under MacOS..).

> The suggestion for CXX=g++2 in the PROBLEMS file applies primarily to 10.2
> and maybe 10.3, with PowerPC Macs.
>
> BTW, it's a good idea to keep a copy of /usr/share/groff/site-tmac (and
> site-font if you use it) in your home directory; when
> Apple releases groff updates, those directories get reset. Ask me how I know.
> :-(

same thing: I would'nt put it in /usr in the first place in order to avoid
these problems.

> -- Larry

all the best,

joerg